Weird, Great and Interesting
- Underneath all its fur, a polar bear’s skin is black.
- A rhinoceros’s skin can be almost 2 inches thick.
- Frogs’ skin is unique. Instead of drinking water through their mouths, they soak it in through their skin!
- The whale shark has the thickest skin in the world, at an impressive 15 centimeters (6″) thick!
- African spiny mice possess some of the thinnest skin in the world. They can regenerate skin, hair follicles, sweat glands, and cartilage in a matter of days, without any scarring. So they can escape predators if their skin grabs them, it peels off, and no harm is done.
- The largest turtle is the leatherback sea turtle, it can weigh over 900 kg! (2000 lb)
Turtles lay eggs.
- Pigs have an excellent sense of smell.
- A female giraffe gives birth while standing up. The calf drops approximately 6 feet to the ground, but it is not hurt from the fall.
- Instead of bones, sharks have a skeleton made from cartilage.
- The horn of a rhinoceros is made from compacted hair rather than bone or another substance.
- Insects such as bees, mosquitoes and cicadas make noise by rapidly moving their wings.
- A group of owls is called a parliament.
- Owls are very quiet in flight compared to other birds of prey.
- Turtles have existed for around 215 million years.
- Sea turtles have special glands which help remove salt from the water they drink.
Find more fun facts about animals!